Today marks 100 days until the World Cup tournament gets underway in Brazil, here we take a look back at when it was first held their in June of 1950.
Captions from top:Uruguayan chef de mission, Ambassador Giordano Eccher, holds the Jules Rimet trophy, surrounded by team officials and journalists, The Brazilians in their dismay had even forgot to present the trophy, FIFA, President Jules Rimet having to go on to the pitch search out the Uruguay captain Obdulio Varela and perform the ceremony, 1950; Brazilian forward Ademir (C) watches the ball go into the net as he scores his team’s opening goal past Swedish goalkeeper Kalle Svensson during their World Cup final round match on July 09, 1950 at Maracana stadium in Rio de Janeiro. Ademir scored four goals as Brazil beat Sweden 7-1; England 2 v Chile 0, 25th June, 1950, Tom Finney of England holds off Rolden of Chile during England’s first ever World Cup match; Cover of a souvenir brochure produced to celebrate Uruguay’s World Cup success, as they defeated the host nation 2-1 in the Final played in Rio’s Maracana Stadium, 1950; Alcides Edgardo Ghiggia, Uruguay, He scored the goal that won the 1950 World Cup when Uruguay defeated Brazil in the Maracana Stadium, Rio de Janeiro in front of an estimated 200,000 fans. He later became an Italian citizen and played 5 internationals for Italy, circ 1950; Uruguay’s Ghiggia scores the winning goal past the dive of Brazilian goalkeeper Barbosa to win the World Cup for Uruguay and complete a major by upset by beating hosts and favourites Brazil 2-1, 1950 and A Brazilian radio reporter in close attendance, the team captains, August (left) of Brazil and Uruguay’s Obdulio Varela exchange pennants and meet the match officials before kick-off, The officials were all from Great Britain, with referee George Reader accompanied by linesmen Arthur Ellis, (left) and Mitchell. Uruguay upset predictions in front of a crowd of disbelieving Brazilians at the newly built Maracana Stadium. Following this defeat the superstitious Brazilians decided to change their white shirts trimmed with blue, to the now familiar yellow and green, 16th July 1950.